Savannah Historic Greek Revival Home
This Greek Revival mansion located in Savannah’s historic district was built in 1842, and is now open for tours. It was beautifully furnished with antiques, yet retains the feel of a real home.
The Harper-Fowlkes House has served as the headquarters for the Society of the Cincinnati in the State of Georgia since Alida Harper-Fowlkes bequeathed the house to the Society in 1985.
Interior Design and Fabric Details
One of the most striking interior features of the Harper-Fowlkes House is the collection of chandeliers. Of American origin, this collection was made around 1847 by Cornelius Company in Philadelphia. Original to the house, these chandeliers were initially made as gasoliers (chandeliers that burned gas) and were converted to chandeliers.
Another magnificent piece is the clock located in the hallway. Also of American origin (1815-20), this federal styled mahogany piece was purchased from Claudia McAlpin Whitney by Alida Harper in 1939 and has been in the hall since the completion of the house in 1847.
In every room of this immaculate house, plaster crown molding can be found, which is all original to the house.
When visiting, observe the detailed richness of Alida’s antiques. The fabrics, carvings embellishments, textures and colors all enhance this historic experience.
Front Double Parlor
The 1930 Persian rug in this room is beautifully designed with shades of rust, red and blue with floral palmettes. The 1740 single chair to the front left is Queen Anne in style and is made of mahogany with peg construction.
Also in this parlor is a spectacular iron window bench. Several other eye-catchers may be seen in the other half of this double parlor. The upholstered chair is English, 1770-80, Hepplewhite with mahogany legs and a saddle seat. The tiny pie-crust top tripod base table seen is English, 1790-1800, Sheraton. It is made of mahogany.
To the right of the entrance is the sitting room. An antique rug can be found consisting of classic geometric pattern shaded with blue coral and tan.
Look for the Scottish sofa, 1760-70, Chippendale, mahogany frame, camel back, carved from three legs and apron upholstered in blue Italian silk damask.
This large dining room connects directly to the kitchen. It has a warm glow from the Fresco walls’ original hand painted graining detail on the plaster. The dining table is American, 1835, Sheraton, made of mahogany with reeded legs, and demi-lune ends with single drop leaves.
The mahogany sideboard closest to the hall is American, 1835-1840, Classical splash back, 3 frieze drawers over 3 solid door cupboard and scroll fee.
Trustees’ Reading Room
There is a model of a revolutionary war battle ship, constructed by Alida Harper’s brother, William Harper, and a 1840’s mahogany Gentleman’s Chest.
Stepping into the northwest bedroom on the second floor instantly sets you into the mid 19th century with its American, 1860, Rococo bed. The half tester (canopy) with molded pediment is wonderfully dressed in chintz and damask.